Ashley G. Emerson
“It is an honor to practice Family Law. When clients choose to work with me, they have given me the opportunity to help steer the course of their family’s future, a task that I do not take lightly."
"When people are already overwhelmed with their changing life, the legal system can be quite perplexing. I take pride in the chance and ability to guide my clients through this process and give them a strong voice. To me, the greatest reward is enabling my clients to make decisions and connect with professionals that not only ease the process but give them tools to use far beyond my interaction with them. It is my sincerest hope that, by choosing to work with me, my clients and their family are able to move forward healthier and more assured that their future is secure than when we first met.”
Ashley advocates for outcomes that enable families to make the smoothest possible transition during an otherwise stressful time of life. Due to her work with child welfare organizations and as a client advocate, Ashley has developed a deep appreciation for the significant impact that divorce has on every member of the family. She is committed to seeking peaceful resolutions while also zealously advocating for her clients. Whether her clients are going through a divorce, a child custody dispute, or financial disputes, or any other family law matter, it is Ashley’s goal that each of her clients feels as though their issue is resolved with dignity.
Ashley received her Juris Doctorate from University of Missouri – Kansas City School of Law. There, she received an emphasis certificate in the practice area of Family Law. Since her completion of law school, Ashley continued to pursue her passion for families by working with non-profits, policy organizations and volunteering with Colorado Legal Services. During her time assisting with the representation of victims of domestic violence at Colorado Legal Services, Ashley learned quickly that she values the opportunity to work directly with clients and walk them through the reconfiguration of their family and/or financial circumstances.
While not all cases can be resolved outside of the courtroom, Ashley is an advocate for alternative methods of resolving disputes, when possible. Ashley feels that alternatives to litigation, including mediation, arbitration, and collaborative law, provide great options for clients who desire a less adversarial and more timely resolution of their dispute. When circumstances necessitate traditional litigation, however, Ashley is the strong and dedicated advocate that her clients need.
Ashley’s practice is focused on Family Law. Ashley’s extensive experience with policy as it relates to children and families has given her tremendous insight into difficult cases involving complex matters related to children as well as circumstances of domestic violence.
Likewise, Ashley’s experience in her years with Littman Family Law have enabled her to tackle complex financial matters and assist clients in restructuring and dividing their finances and financial interests in a manner that enables her clients to transition smoothly after divorce or separation.
Ashley has co-presented on the matter of Guardians and Guardian ad Litems in the context of Family Law cases at the National Alternative Dispute Resolution Conference and for Metro Denver Interdisciplinary Committee. Ashley also co-authored on this matter for the 2014 Bench Book.
Ashley has invested significant time and effort towards learning about the resources that are available for her clients throughout the state of Colorado. Whether the conflict is about finances, children, or domestic violence, Ashley values the connections that she has forged with the professional community in the Denver Metro Area. Many Family Law cases require one (if not more) third party experts. Ashley and the Littman Family Law firm have formed positive relationships with many of the most highly respected professionals in the community. Ashley values her ability to make these connections available to her clients when the matter requires an expert opinion, report, or investigation.
In her free time, Ashley enjoys traveling to adventurous locations (most recently Peru, Iceland and Italy), hiking, running, skiing, and cooking. She loves to share in these experiences with her fiancée and with her Australian Shepherd rescue, Jack.
Areas of Practice
- Family Law
- Alimony & Spousal Support
- Child Support
- Children's Rights
- Custody & Visitation
- Domestic Violence & Neglect
- Juvenile Law
- Collaborative Law
Certificated Legal Training
- Annual Symposium on Domestic Violence, The Office of the Denver District Attorney, October, 2016
- Colorado, 2012
- University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Law, Kansas City, Missouri
- May, 2012
- University of Missouri
- B.A. - May, 2009
- Major: International Studies
- Parental Responsibilities/Child Legal Representative / Child and Family Investigator/ Parenting Coordinator/ /Arbitrator. Domestic Relations Law and Orders, 2016
- Colorado Bench Book - Family Law section [edited by Cynthia Cianco and Angela Arkin] "Adult Guardian ad Litem" 2014 ( with David Littman), 2014
- A Practical Guide to Business Valuations for Lawyers, Family Law Section of the Colorado Bar, February 17, 2017
Sampling of Classes and Seminars Taught
- Client Competency Issues for Mediators and Professionals (with David Littman) - State Alternative Dispute Resolution Conference, November, 2014
- Client Competency for Mental Health Professionals and Lawyers (with David Littman), Metro Denver Interdisciplinary Committee, September, 2015
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Colorado Collaborative Divorce Professionals, Executive Board
- Denver Bar Association
- Colorado Bar Association
- Colorado Collaborative Divorce Professionals
Selected Past Legal Employment Positions
- Office of Colorado's Child Protection Ombudsman, Legal Research Assistant, 2011 - 2012
- Special Counsel Denver/ Promontory Financial, Foreclosure Review Analyst, 2012 - 2013
Pro Bono Activities
- Colorado Legal Services – Volunteer Attorney, 2013
- Metro Volunteer Lawyers
- Bully Proof Program
- Young Professionals Committee of Denver Athletic Club